Friday, April 16, 2010

I survived my root canal!

And it wasn't that bad!
They started out by doing a teeth cleaning (which was actually more painful than most of the root canal), while they were waiting for the Novocaine to kick in. Then he did the fillings that were on that side of my mouth (yes, multiple fillings. I know, I know: bad Megan. I hadn't been to the dentist in about ten years until now, so really a couple of fillings isn't that bad. The root canal? Bad, Megan, bad.)
Then he started on the root canal. I didn't feel anything, and then there was suddenly a very sharp pain. Turns out that one of the nerves wasn't dead like they thought. So they had to give me a shot of something else, which hurt like a monkey because it was straight into the nerve. I like this dentist a lot, part of it is because he didn't lie to me. He said "This is going to hurt for about twenty seconds, pretty bad, but then it will feel better" I would much rather know that the pain is coming. It definitely hurt pretty darn badly, but not even for twenty seconds, more like ten. After that I felt absolutely nothing pain wise.
When he was cleaning out the roots it felt really weird, because I could feel it because of the sound (anybody know what I mean by that?)
Then they put medicine in it and capped it temporarily, I'll go back in ten days for the to take out the temporary filling and make it permanent.

Afterward they showed me the nerve that had still been alive, it was CRAZY. It wasn't even the size of an eyelash. It's amazing how something that small can cause so much pain.

The dentist was amazing though, and I would highly recommend him. He was very careful and fast, and also very concerned as to whether or not I was feeling any pain. He really made me not nervous about going to the dentist. Everything he did today took just about an hour, which was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment