Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I've been misted!

They were doing the H1N1 vaccine for free at Monterey Peninsula College until 1 o'clock, so I headed on over and got vaccinated.
Now I'm just relaxing for the rest of the day, and keeping myself very hydrated. Hopefully I won't get any of the not so fun side affects that they said may happen. (Sore throat, congestion, headache, etc)

I read a really interesting article on MSN yesterday about the Prohibition. It was an article about how the government was putting menthyl alcohol into the products that they knew people were buying to "naturalize" into something to drink. The article said that as many as 10,000 people, maybe even more, were killed by drinking these "naturalized" substances because of the menthyl alcohol. This seems crazy to me, that the government thought it was okay to do this even though they knew that it was going to kill people. I understand that these people were also breaking the laws put forth during the Prohibition, but I don't think that the punishment fits the crime in this case. I don't believe that this was a wise course of action for the government to take, and I cannot believe that I had never heard about it before now. It seems like it should be something that you would read about in history class in high school, or that it would at least be general public knowledge.
This would probably be a pretty good topic for a novel actually. How the choice came about and how it affected normal people and their lives. I believe that it is all the more painful to lose someone you know and love to something that is avoidable, not natural, and not even accidental. How must the families of these people felt when they found out that they lost their loved one because the government decided to play God?
They could have, just as easily (and probably less expensively), put intense bittering agents into the products (which they did do in some cases). Why did the government decide to put in chemicals that they knew would kill?

I think I'm done rambling about this for today, but I may come back to it later. I find it a very interesting subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment